By Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon
The 2016 Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon, which took place April 2-3 in Knoxville, continued its reign as the largest competitive road race in East Tennessee. Now in its 12th year, this year’s race drew nearly 8,000 runners, representing its largest crowd ever.
“On behalf of Covenant Health, it is my honor to congratulate the winners and all participants for their efforts today,” said Jim VanderSteeg, Covenant Health president and CEO. “Whether yours was the fastest time or you persevered until you got to the finish line, whether you ran the 5K or completed the full marathon, you’re all winners because you’ve made an important investment in your health.”
Race officials have verified the results in various categories, and the winners are as follows:
Men’s full marathon:
1. Bryan Morseman of Bath, New York, at 2:25:01
2. James Miller of Johnson City, Tennessee, at 2:36:21
3. Jake Rhyne of Maryville, Tennessee, at 2:51:07
Women’s full marathon:
1. Gina Rouse of Knoxville, Tennessee, at 2:53:16
2. Lynn Baione of Sevierville, Tennessee, at 3:05:03
3. Sarah Eldridge of Knoxville, Tennessee, at 3:20:49
Men’s half marathon:
1. Patrick Cheptoek of Bowling Green, Kentucky, at 1:10:10
2. J. Penny of Johnson City, Tennessee, at 1:14:23
3. Tony Casey of Johnson City, Tennessee, 1:15:16
Women’s half marathon:
1. Lydia Kosgei of Clarksville, Tennessee, 1:22:11
2. Emily Boles of Greensboro, North Carolina, at 1:26:23
3. Barbara Powers of Knoxville, Tennessee, at 1:27:49
1. Nicholas Morgan of Knoxville, Tennessee, at 18:01
2. Douglas Cross of Knoxville, Tennessee, at 18:20
3. Bobby Haines of Knoxville, Tennessee, at 18:48
1. Kathy Wolski of Knoxville, Tennessee, at 19:11
2. Emily Jones of White Bluff, Tennessee, at 22:33
3. Sue Moring of Knoxville, Tennessee, at 23:03
The race also included several handcyclists and wheelchair competitors. Winners in the handcyclist category for the full marathon are as follows:
Men’s Handcycle Marathon:
Dane Pilot of Weaverville, North Carolina, at 1:26:10
David Neumer of Kingston, Tennessee, at 1:43:49
Daniel Smith of Elizabethton, Tennessee, at 2:32:34
Women’s Handcycle Marathon:
1. Carly Pearson of Knoxville, Tennessee, at 2:44:24
…you’re all winners because you’ve made an important investment in your health.
In addition to individual participants, the race also included a two- and four-person marathon relay. New this year, the men’s and women’s 5K run was held on Saturday, alongside the one-mile Covenant Kids Run.
“As the largest health system in East Tennessee, Covenant Health is committed to improving the quality of life in our region through better health,” VanderSteeg added. “That commitment was the impetus behind our decision to sponsor this event the past 12 years, and the reason why we have agreed to continue our sponsorship through 2019.
“Finally, I would be remiss if I didn’t express my appreciation to the City of Knoxville and to the scores of volunteers who worked to make this entire weekend a resounding success.”
For more information, visit www.knoxvillemarathon.com or call 865-684-4294.
Set Up a Parental Control for Online Safety
Have you ever wondered how long your children spend in front of a device without your supervision? Yes, it is…